Re: in-kernel interrupt controller steering

On 06.03.2013, at 01:23, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> On Mon, 2013-03-04 at 23:20 +0100, Alexander Graf wrote:
>> 7) Interrupt line connections to vcpus are implicit
>>
>> We don't explicitly mark which in-kernel irqchip interrupt line goes
>> to which vcpu. This is done implicitly. If we see a need for it, we
>> create a new irqchip device type that allows us to explicitly
>> configure vcpu connections.
>
> I don't understand that one. The connection from irq source goes to
> which vcpu is an intrinsic part of the configuration of that interrupt
> line on XICS and MPIC and probably any other, which is set explicitly by
> the guest using MMIO or hcalls ...

Yes, I was referring to the other side of the connection. You really only have a pool of vcpus. But your interrupt controller needs to know "CPU 0 is the one over there". That connection is implicit by vcpu id today, but we could make it user space settable later.

Alex