Re: Q: Why not use struct mm_struct to manage guest physical addresses in new port?

On Tue, Feb 05, 2013 at 11:02:32AM -0800, David Daney wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am starting to working on a port of KVM to an architecture that
> has a dual TLB.  The Guest Virtual Addresses (GVA) are translated to
> Guest Physical Addresses (GPA) by the first TLB, then a second TLB
> translates the GPA to a Root Physical Address (RPA).  For the sake
> of this question, we will ignore the GVA->GPA TLB and consider only
> the GPA->RPA TLB.
>
> I seems that most existing ports have a bunch of custom code that
> manages the GPA->RPA TLB and page tables.
>
> Here is what I would like to try:  Create a mm for the GPA->RPA
> mappings each vma would have a fault handler that calls gfn_to_pfn()
> to look up the proper page.  In kvm_arch_vcpu_ioctl_run() we would
> call switch_mm() to this new 'gva_mm'.

gfn_to_pfn uses the address space of the controlling process. GPA->RPA
translation does:

1) Find 'memory slot' (indexed by gfn)
2) From 'memory slot', find virtual address (relative to controlling
process).
3) Walk pagetable of controlling process and page retrieve physical address.

>  Upon exiting guest mode we
> would switch back to the original mm of the controlling process.
> For me the benefit of this approach is that all the code that
> manages the TLB is already implemented and works well for struct
> mm_struct.  The only thing I need to do is write a vma fault
> handler.  That is a lot easier and less error prone than maintaining
> a parallel TLB management framework and making sure it interacts
> properly with the existing TLB code for 'normal' processes.
>

> Q1: Am I crazy for wanting to try this?

You need the mm_struct of the controlling to be active, when doing
GPA->RPA translations.

> Q2: Have others tried this and rejected it?  What were the reasons?

I think you'll have to switch_mm back to the controlling process mm on
every page fault (and then back to gva_mm).

> Thanks in advance,
> David Daney
> Cavium, Inc.

'vma' `is a process