KVM performance Java server/MySQL...

Hi,

We have been benchmarking a java server application (java 6 update 29)
that requires a mysql database. The scenario is quite simple. We open a
web page which displays a lot of search results. To get the content of the
page one big query is done with many smaller queries to retrieve the data.
The test from the java side is single threaded.

We have used the following deployment scenarios:
1. JBoss in VM, MySql in separate VM
2. JBoss in VM, MySQL native
3. JBoss native, MySQL in vm.
4. JBoss native and MySQL native on the same physical machine
5. JBoss and MySQL virtualized on the same VM.

What we see is that the performance (time to execute) is practically the
same for all scenarios (approx. 30 seconds), except for scenario 4 that
takes approx. 21 seconds. This difference is quite large and contrasts
many other test on the internet and other benchmarks we did previously.

We have tried pinning the VMs, turning hyperthreading off, varying the CPU
model (including host-passthrough), but this did not have any significant
impact.

The hardware on which we are running is a dual socket E5-2650 machine with
64 GB memory. The server is a Dell poweredge R720 server with SAS disks,
RAID controller with battery backup (writeback cache). Transparent huge
pages is turned on.

We are at a loss to explain the differences in the test. In particular, we
would have expected the least performance when both were running
virtualized and we would have expected a better performance when JBoss and
MySQL were running virtualized in the same VM as compared to JBoss and
MySQL both running in different virtual machines. It looks like we are
dealing with multiple issues here and not just one.

Right now we have a 30% penalty for running virtualized which is too much
for us; 10% would be allright. What would you suggest to do to
troubleshoot this further?

Cheers
  Erik