Re: Networking latency - what to expect?

On 2012-11-29 07:48, Julian Stecklina wrote:
Thus spake David Mohr <damailings@xxxxxxxx>:

* vm->vm (same host)    22k

This number is in the same ballpark as what I am seeing on pretty much
the same hardware.

AFAICS, there is little you can do to the current virtio->virtio code
path that would make this substantially faster.

Thanks for the feedback. Considering that it's better than the hardware network performance my main issue is actually the latency of communication between VMs on different hosts:
* vm->vm (diff. hosts)   7k

It is obvious that there is a lot more going on compared to same host communication, but only ~30% of the performance when the network hardware should not be slowing it down (too) much?

Thanks,
~David