messed up with xml-files and configuration of a VM

Hi,

first, i'm new to kvm. I'm running KVM on a sles 11 sp2, kernel 3.0.13-0.27-default. My guest is an Ubuntu 12.0.4 LTS 64bit.
The guest has attached a CDROM, using an iso-file from a CIFS-Share. I detached it with the virtual machine manager (0.9.0).
I don't see the cd-rom anymore in the virtual machine manager. But when i try to start the vm, it complains about the missing iso-file.
Why ? I detached it.
When i like to have a look in the xml-files of the guest, i found three ! One in /var/lib/kvm/images, one in /etc/libvirt/qemu and one in /etc/kvm/vm.
Which one should i use to configure the vm ? In the one in /etc/libvirt/qemu the cifs-share isn't mentioned any longer, in the other two it is still.
Is it possible to configure the vm editing one of the XML-files ?
Or shall i use virsh ? Using virsh, does the vm has to be stopped or can i edit the configuration for a running vm ?
Why three xml-files ? Why is detaching with the virtual machine manager not working ?

Thanks for any inspiration.

Bernd

--
Bernd Lentes

Systemadministration
Institut für Entwicklungsgenetik
Gebäude 35.34 - Raum 208
HelmholtzZentrum münchen
bernd.lentes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
phone: +49 89 3187 1241
fax:   +49 89 3187 2294
http://www.helmholtz-muenchen.de/idg

Wir sollten nicht den Tod fürchten, sondern
das schlechte Leben

Helmholtz Zentrum München
Deutsches Forschungszentrum für Gesundheit und Umwelt (GmbH)
Ingolstädter Landstr. 1
85764 Neuherberg
www.helmholtz-muenchen.de
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzende: MinDir´in Bärbel Brumme-Bothe
Geschäftsführer: Prof. Dr. Günther Wess und Dr. Nikolaus Blum
USt-IdNr: DE 129521671