pci_enable_msix() fails with ENOMEM/EINVAL

Greetings all,
I am running Ubuntu-Precise 3.2.0-29-generic #46, with stock KVM ("QEMU emulator version 1.0 (qemu-kvm-1.0)") on a Dell R510 server. I have one dual-port Intel's NIC 82599, of which I spawn 32 VFs from each port. I spawn virtual machines with KVM, each VM has 4 VFs attached (two from each PF).

Once in a while, in particular when I spawn multiple VMs in parallel, I hit an issue that one of the VFs does not have an IRQ assigned to it. I am checking this in /proc/interrupts, looking for entries like "kvm:0000:03:14.6". In some cases, an entry is missing for a particular VF. As a result, the VF within the VM is non-functional.

I debugged this issue further, by adding prints to kvm.ko code. I see that the failure happens in kvm_vm_ioctl_assigned_device/KVM_ASSIGN_DEV_IRQ path, which calls assigned_device_enable_host_msix() function, which calls pci_enable_msix(), which fails with EINVAL or with ENOMEM. This path is called twice for each VF.

For the ENOMEM failure, I see that first pci_enable_msix() returns -12, and when kvm_vm_ioctl_set_msix_nr() is called again, it sees that adev->entries_nr != 0 and fails the call with EINVAL.

I can repro it only when spawning like 8 or 10 VMs in parallel, but it doesn't happen every time. So it seems like this is not a resource shortage problem, but some race somewhere.

I tested this with several version of ixgbe drivers, including the in-tree version that comes with Precise. It reproduces with all the versions.

Can anybody advise on how to proceed debugging this issue?

Thanks,
Alex.