Configuring virtual ethernet interfaces on KVM guests?

Dear KVM Subscribers:

I am new to this list and to KVM, so please bear with me.

I'm in search of documentation on how to configure virtual ethernet
interfaces on guest VMs.

In a CentOS 6.3 environment, after successfully installing my first
KVM host machine, I've configured the following virtual ethernet
interfaces on a guest VM to accommodate ip-based virtual hosts in
Apache:

eth0 = <private IP A>

eth0:1 = <private IP B>

eth0:2 = <private IP C>

These private IPs are NATed at the firewall.

Everything was working fine until my host was rebooted and I lost
connectivity to the guest's three interfaces. I've read elsewhere that
NetworkManager doesn't work well with KVM on the host, so I've stopped
and disabled it in favor of network on the guest, too. Now, with
NetworkManager out of the picture on the guest, a reboot no longer
overwrites resolv.conf, as has been documented elsewhere. However, to
get the guest's three interfaces back, I've found that I need to clear
the guest's iptable cache, which isn't much of a solution.

In retrospect, I'm wondering if I should switch to named-based virtual
hosts in Apache and forget configuring virtual ethernet interfaces on
a guest VM because it's not workable.

Thanks, in advance, for your recommendations and patience.

Mark Ferguson
Systems Administrator
Colorado State Library
7400 East Arapahoe Road, Suite 75