High load in one domain to affect another domain

Hello list! I'm new here. At first, thank you for KVM!

I run KVM under 2.6.32-279.2.1.el6.x86_64 on CentOS 6.3. My box has 8 GB RAM, a Quad Core CPU and there are 6 KVM domains that use 5 GB of RAM and have OS type hvm. Each domain has access to all 4 CPU cores.

Today I was suddenly getting strange effects on one of these domains. MySQL database queries would take forever. And ocassionally a process (Varnish web accelerator) would simply exit. The load was about 3.5 but all 4 CPU cores showed as 90% idle. I checked vmstat and iostat and there was virtually no load. I could not figure out where that 3.5 load came from as the domain was pretty much idle.

Then I realized that one of the other 5 domains had become unresponsive. I destroyed it and immediately afterwards the ill-effects on the first domain disappeared. I then went through the logs and saw that this particular domain had a load of 120-200 for a couple of hours, probably some processes had gone berserk.

All of the other domains behaved fine during that time.

The KVM host itself had a load of 2-3 and about 70% idle on each CPU core.

I'm wondering what went wrong here. I would have expected the KVM host show a high load for that "berserk" domain (the qemu-kvm process), and really puzzled why it didn't have any impact on the other domains. Did maybe only these two domains share a single CPU core or something like that?

Am I supposing right that if I only assign 2 CPU cores to that "berserk" domain I would be a bit more safe of this happening again in the future?

If this is a FAQ I would appreciate any pointers.

Thank you!
Markus