Re: qemu-kvm: remove "boot=on|off" drive parameter compatibility

On 2012-10-01 15:03, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 01, 2012 at 12:21:18PM +0200, Jan Kiszka wrote:

>>> We care about removing qemu-kvm to null.

>>> I suggested this: provide a configuration file (and proper guide on
>>> how to use it on announce email) to be shipped with qemu 1.3.0.
>>>
>>> That is:
>>>
>>> "For compatibility with qemu-kvm 1.2.0, use
>>>
>>> qemu-system-x86_64 -config /usr/share/qemu/qemu-kvm-1.2-compat.opt"
>>>
>>> This would work for rtl8139-as-default, vga-ram-size differences.
>>>
>>> And drop all command line option compatibility (which can be easily fixed
>>> by an administrator/end user).
>>>
>>> Comments?
>>
>> It's not just about default configs. We need to validate if the
>> migration formats are truly compatible (qemu-kvm -> QEMU, the other way
>> around definitely not).
>
> Right, VGA RAM size differences are part of migration compatibility.
>
> The other two are ACPI and i8254 (will be looking into details soon,
> thanks).
>
>> For the command line switches, we could provide
>> a wrapper script that translates them into upstream format or simply
>> ignores them. That should be harmless to carry upstream.
>
> Do you have an objection against just pushing the responsability to
> administrators? It can be seen as configuration file format change.

This is about helping him in the most appropriate way.

> Most users should not be using direct command line anyway.

If you are using the command line, you shouldn't care about qemu-kvm's
legacy. But there might be home-grown management stacks or scripts
around that have to be adjusted. So some wrapper may help in this
process, either as reference or as intermediate adapter.

>> But I would really stop worrying about the qemu-kvm code base.
>>
>> Jan
>
> Right, thats what we're trying to do here.

Just that I'm missing how this patch correlates with the goal to get
QEMU ready for qemu-kvm users. :)

Jan

--
Siemens AG, Corporate Technology, CT RTC ITP SDP-DE