resize raw images

Hi,

i'm not very experienced in KVM. I installed two VM's in a raw image. I'm impressed of the speed of the vm's, that's nice :-).
I have a lot of vm's running on VMWare Server 1.09, which is very old. I'd like to migrate them to KVM.
I'd like to migrate them to raw images, because i'm able to mount a raw image from the host like a partition if the VM is having problems.
I also have to create some new vm's. What is when disk space is running out ? My idea is to create the new vm's in raw images. Inside the vm, filesystems will reside in logical volumes. When disk space is running out, i resize the raw image using:

- qemu-img create -f raw additional.raw <size>
- cat additional.raw >> vm.raw
- inside the vm, resize the filesystems easily with lvm tools und resize2fs.

What do you think about this idea ? Are there easier solutions ?

Thanks in advance.

Bernd

--
Bernd Lentes

Systemadministration
Institut für Entwicklungsgenetik
Gebäude 35.34 - Raum 208
HelmholtzZentrum münchen
bernd.lentes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
phone: +49 89 3187 1241
fax:   +49 89 3187 2294
http://www.helmholtz-muenchen.de/idg

Wir sollten nicht den Tod fürchten, sondern
das schlechte Leben

Helmholtz Zentrum München
Deutsches Forschungszentrum für Gesundheit und Umwelt (GmbH)
Ingolstädter Landstr. 1
85764 Neuherberg
www.helmholtz-muenchen.de
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzende: MinDir´in Bärbel Brumme-Bothe
Geschäftsführer: Prof. Dr. Günther Wess und Dr. Nikolaus Blum
USt-IdNr: DE 129521671