RE: Can't use USB devices in their designated applications on Windows Vista guest

Could be that windows is seeing a USB 1 device while needing a USB 2.
You might solve this by passing through the devices explicitly; go to the Qemu console, and type USB-INFO(if I remember rightly) while the device is plugged in.
This will show you all connected devices, including vendor id etc.
Then add that device no and vendor ID to your qemu command line(in the right way, look at documentation/google) and pass it through explicitly, OR it may be solved by using ehci control to pass USB 2.
I know we had a similar problem about 6 months ago.
Ehci support in kvm-qemu should show up in google.