Efficiently integrating a user-space switch with KVM

Howdy!

Can you please help me to use virtio in the most efficient way
possible?

I'm building a userspace hypervisor switch called Snabb Switch at
http://www.github.com/SnabbCo/snabbswitch. I want the performance to
be competitive with kernel-space switches like the Linux bridge and
Open vSwitch. So I want a really efficient mechanism for ethernet I/O.
I'm starting to think that virtio is the best integration point.

I've been taking a "hack first, think later" approach and so I started
off by knocking up a simplistic shared memory network interface for
QEMU, code is here:
https://github.com/SnabbCo/QEMU/compare/master...shm. But this is on
the same level of abstraction as e.g. the TAP interfaces and it feels
like I should be digging deeper -- to deal directly with virtio ring
buffers instead of copying and linearizing everything between the
switch and the guest.

So asking my question again more specifically. Can you help me to find
the best way to integrate my switch with KVM?

Thanks!
-Luke