Re: expanding virtual disk based on lvm

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 1:26 PM, Ross Boylan <ross@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> My vm launches with -hda /dev/turtle/VD0 -hdb /dev/turtle/VD1, where VD0
> and VD1 are lvm logical volumes.  I used lvextend to expand them, but
> the VM, started after the expansion, does not seem to see the extra
> space.

You've increased the size of the hard drive, but you haven't changed
the filesystem on top of the hard drive to use that extra space.

How you do that depends on whether the virtual disks are partitioned
with filesystems in the partitions; or formatted with a filesystem
directly.

If they are partitioned, then you need to boot off a LiveCD, extend
the partition, then extend the filesystem in the partition.

If they are formatted directly, then (depending on the filesystem) you
can grow the filesystem.  Some filesystems can't be extended live, so
you have to boot to a LiveCD.

No fancy VM-related tools required.  Just think in terms of real,
physical hardware, and it all becomes clear.  :)
--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash@xxxxxxxxx