Re: How KVM sync guest page table with corresponding shadow page table?

Hi Guangrong,

  I am not familiar with the term used in paging world, so I need to ask
some dumb questions.

> It is controlled by shadow page table, guest-page-tables are write-protected
> on shadow pages (the W bit on PTE is cleared).

  O.K.

> There has a special case, called unsync shadow page, if the page only used
> as guest page structure on the lowest level (level = 1), we allow it to be
> writable, it will be sync-ed when the guest flush the tlb (e.g: CR3 reload,
> invlpg...) because according to x86 TLB rules, it needs to flush tlb to apply
> the change.

  What "guest page structure on the lowest level" means? Take a simple two-level
page hierarchy as an example, do you mean the page table (not page directory)?
In short, if the architecture requires when OS modifies Nth-level page table
entry, the OS has to flush tlb, then we can unsync shadow page since the modifying
operations can be trapped by executing tlb flush instruction. Is that right?

> In the normal case, guest writes its page table will generate #PF since the
> page is write-protected as we mention above.

  Let me try to illustrate what happen after HW generating #PF, please correct
me if I am wrong. :)

  #PF causes an VMExit, and the control returned to KVM. KVM will use guest
virtual address (I think this information is accompanied with #PF, stored in cr4
on x86 for example) to walk guest page table, and KVM will find guest allows
this access, so something must be wrong in shadow page table. Then KVM will
go through shadow page table, found the corresponding entry has been set
to write-protected. Now KVM knows it has to sync guest page table and the
shadow page table, but how KVM knows what guest OS want to write into guest
page table entry?

  Let's assume KVM knows, what's next? KVM will make the guest page table
writable by setting shadow page table entry, contine to execute guest
instruction which triggers #PF, then sync shadow page table at the same
time? It would be great if you can point me out where should I look into
in KVM source code as a starting code, that makes me understand shadow
page table stuff more concrete, and I don't have to guess how things
work. :)

  Thanks!

Regards,
chenwj

--
Wei-Ren Chen (陳韋任)
Computer Systems Lab, Institute of Information Science,