Qcow2 preallocation + backing file

I've been searching around trying to figure out if there's any benefit
to having a qcow2 backing file created with preallocation=metadata
set. That is, if there's any benefit to using a qcow2 file that is
based on a qcow2 backing file with preallocation=metadata turned on. I
know you can't turn on preallocation=metadata for the derived qcow2
file, but nothing seems to stop you from deriving an image from a base
image where the base image has preallocation=metadata turned on. Sorry
for the tongue twisters.

Looking around the net, it's not super clear (or at least I'm not
interpreting what I'm finding correctly) but it sounds like it
shouldn't have any benefit, i.e. that you lose the benefit of the base
image's preallocation=metadata on derived images. But goofing around
with fio randrw, running tests on derived images from backing files
with preallocation=metadata vs no preallocation=metadata, it seems to
have a huge benefit, at least much much higher r/w bw with the
preallocation=metadata-derived image.

While I might've answered my own question, I'm no fio expert. I don't
necessarily trust that I'm testing it correctly, which is why I'm
asking here. Running the same test multiple times gives me
30-40meg/sec for both read and write on the
preallocation=metadata-derived image, vs 0.5-1meg/sec for
non-preallocation=metadata-derived images, both which sound way too
high/low to be right. Same box (ubuntu 12.04 64-bit, running the stock
ubuntu qemu 1.0), same disk, even the same directory. I could also see
some bizarre side effect happening that I'm not aware of, ready to
bite me later on down the road, like, say, that it's silently actually
reading/writing the original image (just a made-up example).

I also figured that it'd be good to ask for future googlers.