Re: [RFC-v2 0/4] tcm_vhost+cmwq fabric driver code for-3.6

On Wed, 2012-07-18 at 08:42 -0500, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> On 07/17/2012 04:50 PM, Nicholas A. Bellinger wrote:

<SNIP>

> >> But I do think the kernel should carefully consider whether it wants to support
> >> an interface like this.  This an extremely complicated ABI with a lot of subtle
> >> details around state and compatibility.
> >>
> >> Are you absolutely confident that you can support a userspace application that
> >> expects to get exactly the same response from all possible commands in 20 kernel
> >> versions from now?  Virtualization requires absolutely precise compatibility in
> >> terms of bugs and features.  This is probably not something the TCM stack has
> >> had to consider yet.
> >>

> > We most certainly have thought about long term userspace compatibility
> > with TCM.  Our userspace code (that's now available in all major
> > distros) is completely forward-compatible with new fabric modules such
> > as tcm_vhost.  No update required.
>
> I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing when we say compatibility.
>
> I'm not talking about the API.  I'm talking about the behavior of the commands
> that tcm_vhost supports.

OK, I understand what your getting at now..

> If you add support for a new command, you need to provide userspace a way to
> disable this command.  If you change what gets reported for VPD, you need to
> provide userspace a way to make VPD look like what it did in a previous version.
>
> Basically, you need to be able to make a TCM device behave 100% the same as it
> did in an older version of the kernel.
>
> This is unique to virtualization due to live migration.  If you migrate from a
> 3.6 kernel to a 3.8 kernel, you need to make sure that the 3.8 kernel's TCM
> device behaves exactly like the 3.6 kernel because the guest that is interacting
> with it does not realize that live migration happened.
>
> Yes, you can add knobs via configfs to control this behavior, but I think the
> question is, what's the plan for this?

So we already allow for some types of CDBs emulation to be toggled via
backend device attributes:

root@tifa:/usr/src/target-pending.git# tree /sys/kernel/config/target/core/iblock_2/fioa/attrib/
/sys/kernel/config/target/core/iblock_2/fioa/attrib/
├── block_size
├── emulate_dpo
├── emulate_fua_read
├── emulate_fua_write
├── emulate_rest_reord
├── emulate_tas
├── emulate_tpu
├── emulate_tpws
├── emulate_ua_intlck_ctrl
├── emulate_write_cache
├── enforce_pr_isids

<SNIP>

Some things like SPC-3 persistent reservations + implict/explict ALUA
multipath currently can't be disabled, but adding two more backend
attributes to disable/enable this logic individual is easy enough to do.

So that said, I don't have a problem with adding the necessary device
attributes to limit what type of CDBs a backend device is capable of
processing.

Trying to limiting this per-guest (instead of per-device) is where
things get a little more tricky..

> BTW, I think this is a good thing to cover in Documentation/vhost/tcm_vhost.txt.
>   I think that's probably the only change that's needed here.

Sure, but I'll need to know what else that you'd like to optionally
restrict it terms of CDB processing that's not already there..

Thanks for your feedback!

--nab