QEMU- 1CPU for guest while more cores used on host?

Beginner's question: Got a host with KVM and two Opterons (2cpux16cores=32cores). Trying to virtualize some ancient intranet Redhat servers that cannot be upgraded due to some ancient scripts that would have to be rewritten (last upgrade was at least ten years ago). Of course amd-v+KVM is impossible to be used, but works well under built-in qemu. As the guest is only capable of using one CPU=one core, there is no point in giving this virtual machine more than one core(=cpu). However, as the only one core has got quite poor performance, my question is: Since Qemu is full software virtualization (without use of amd-v), is it somehow possible to have one cpu for guest while it would use more cores on the host? So that qemu process would be capable of using more than one core while guest would still see one cpu?

I don't know if this is even technically possible. If so, could you please give me a hint what keywords should I look for or even better some example?