Implementing a Virtio host module for 802.11 media

Greetings!

I want to develop a Virtio host module to emulate 802.11 wireless networks. Here's the motivation:

I am a PhD student working in wireless networks. I've been using a cluster of 32 KVM guest nodes to emulate wireless nodes and testing mobile Ad-hoc routing protocols. I use "iptables" MAC address filtering to emulate the physical isolation of wireless nodes caused by distance, and use "tc" command to control the bandwidth. However, nodes within communication range share the wireless media, which means they can interfere with each other and there are packets collisions, as a result, the bandwidth of each node is also affected by nodes around it. I find that no matter how I use the "tc" command to do the traffic control, it's always hard to approach the real media sharing model in 802.11 wireless networks. I have to synchronize not only virtual location, but also real-time network usage of each node. Even if synchronizing these, it's still only approximate, and it's ugly. So I begin to believe that I'm trying to solve the problem in a wrong way. I should probably emulate these in KVM
host.

I want to emulate the real world wireless network, where interference and packets collision can take place just like the real wireless communication. The model does not have to very precisely describe the real media, but should consider those factors affecting the wireless bandwidth and delay.

I have some Linux development and network experience, but I'm quite new to the community. I don't really have much kernel development experience but I'll be pleased to learn. Do you guys have any advices about where I can get started? Any suggestion ( or collaboration if anybody wants ) will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Kind regards,
--
Song Gao