Re: vfio problem

On Fri, 2012-06-08 at 18:58 +0200, Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> Hello Alex,
>
> You can probably say, what this message on host side means:
>
> kernel: [ 3902.124109] vfio_dma_do_map: RLIMIT_MEMLOCK (65536) exceeded

We've hit the limit of locked pages.  Are you trying to run as root or a
normal user?  If the latter, you need to play with ulimits to increase
the size.

> The WLAN card in the VM doesn't work any more. It came up after a few
> times of restarting the VM (with unbinding / rebinding - procedures).

Do I recall correctly you reporting a message about the device not
supporting reset for the WLAN?`  Unfortunately devices are mostly black
boxes as far as VFIO is concerned, so if the device doesn't support
reset and doesn't have it's own device specific reset and doesn't simply
start behaving when we restore config space, there's little for vfio to
do.  We do have a bit more flexibility in performing a secondary bus
reset on the bridge since we own everything below the bridge.  We
probably need to consider adding a group reset ioctl to take advantage
of that.

> I'll see if it is reproducible. I had to reboot to get it working again.

I'm definitely curious if there's anything cumulative about the locked
memory problem above.  Thanks,

Alex