RE: [RFC 00/10] KVM: Add TMEM host/guest support

> From: Sasha Levin [mailto:levinsasha928@xxxxxxxxx]
> Subject: Re: [RFC 00/10] KVM: Add TMEM host/guest support
>
> I re-ran benchmarks in a single user environment to get more stable results, increasing the test files
> to 50gb each.

Nice results Sasha!

The non-increase in real and the significant increase in sys
demonstrates that tmem should have little or no impact as
long as there are sufficient unused CPU cycles.... since
tmem is most active on I/O bound workloads when there tends
to be lots of idle cpu time, tmem is usually "free".  But
if KVM perfectly load balances across the sum of all guests
so that there is little or no cpu idle time (rare but
possible), there will be a measurable impact.

For a true worst case analysis, try running cpus=1.  (One
can argue that anyone who runs KVM on a single cpu system
deserves what they get ;-)  But, the "WasActive" patch[1]
(if adapted slightly for the KVM-TMEM patch) should eliminate
the negative impact on systime of streaming workloads even
on cpus=1.

> From: Avi Kivity [mailto:avi@xxxxxxxxxx]
>  <this comment was on Sasha's first round of benchmarking>
> These results give about 47 usec per page system time (seems quite
> high), whereas the difference is 0.7 user per page (seems quite low, for
> 1 or 2 syscalls per page).  Can you post a snapshot of kvm_stat while
> this is running?

Note that the userspace difference is likely all noise.
No tmem/zcache activites should be done in userspace.  All
the activites result from either a page fault or kswapd.

Since each streamed page (assuming no WasActive patch) should
result in one hypercall and one lz01x page compression, I suspect
that 47usec is a good estimate of the sum of those on Sasha's machine.

[1] https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/1/25/300