Re: KVM entry failed, hardware error

On 07.06.2012 16:52, Avi Kivity wrote:

> Please try the big-real-mode branch again.  It contains emulation for
> the missing instruction, plus a bunch of tweaks which allowed it to boot
> Fedora 17 smp with emulate_invalid_guest_state=1.

Progress!

So now I'm on

Linux joequad 3.5.0-rc1-46078-g54d5c7c #2 SMP PREEMPT Thu Jun 7 17:11:38
CEST 2012 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz
GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

And see the following (kind of weird) behavior: I can boot up now. But
it's bound to some condition:

When not using "-monitor stdio", I have the same behavior as before.

When using "-monitor stdio", it locks up occasionaly, but appears to
resume operation whenever I type "info registers". That way I was able
to boot up (by entering about 50 times "info registers", then it had
left real mode and booted up normally).

I was first a bit confused, but this is definitely what I'm seeing:
Because of shutting down the VM I had put the guest in a "Windows
Recovery" mode where a text-mode progress bar appears with the text
"Windows is loading files...". The bar locks up -- when I type "info
registers", it progresses about 2-4 characters and locks up again (until
it's fully loaded, then it just works).

Note that "c" does NOT cause the VM to resume, only "info registers"
does. dmesg shows nothing out of the ordinary.

But I think we're getting somewhere! Thank you very much for your
support already!

Best regards,
Joe