Re: Virtual machine does not respond to keyboard input when guest OS idles for a while

On 07.06.2012, at 03:26, Fei K Chen wrote:

> hi everyone,
>
> This is Fei Chen from IBM Research China. I and my team are working on enabling qemu-kvm on IBM prism A2 processor. After guest OS booted up, we can run linux commands on bash, such as "ls", "dmesg". However, if we stop input and let the guest OS idle for a while, such as 15 seconds, the guest OS will not respond to keyboard input anymore.
>
> Since interrupt controller is not ready for virtual machine, our guest OS boots up with "irqpoll" argument. Is it possible that when guest OS idle, it will not trap into kvm, so kvm can not inject a timer interrupt to guest OS? Have you got the similar problems?

It might be related to the way you implement idle. But without seeing the code, I can't tell too much there. We certainly can run VMs with IRQs for more than 15 seconds on other ppc platforms though :).

Btw, is there anything keeping you from just reusing QEMU's MPIC code for IRQ delivery?

Alex