Re: Windows XP + Virtio

On 05/01/2012 04:33 PM, Sean Kennedy wrote:
I am getting crashes (BSoD) when using Virtio for the disk driver in Windows XP.

I was getting the same thing on Windows Server 2008 guests. The systems would crash and some of them corrupted their filesystems pretty badly. I ended up reverting to running them with IDE emulation so that the virtio block driver wasn't used.

The odd thing was that I benchmarked disk IO using iozone and found that there was no consistent behavior difference between virtio and emulated IDE. In fact, emulated IDE sometimes performed better than virtio.

Who else is benchmarking the virtio block devices to see what performance benefits they provide? What's the best way for users to measure the difference between the two block IO systems?