Re: Has any work 3.3 kvm-kmod for rhel 6.2 kernel successfully?

On 2012-04-16 16:34, ya su wrote:
> I first notice 3.3 release notes, it says it can compile against
> 2.6.32-40, so I think it can work with 2.6.32,  then I change it with
> rhel 2.6.32 kernel.

The problem is that the RHEL 2.6.32 kernel has nothing to do with a
standard 2.6.32 as too many features were ported back. So the version
number based feature checks fail as you noticed.

We could adapt kvm-kmod to detect that it is a RHEL kernel (there is
surely some define), but it requires going through all the relevant
features carefully.

> I just re-change orginal kvm-kmod 3.3 with rhel 2.6.32, only to change
> compile redefination errors, but the problem remains the same. the
> patch attached.
>
> I don't go through git commits, as so many changes from 2.6.32 to 3.3 in kernel.
>
> I think the problem may come from  memory change notification.

The approach to resolve this could be to identify backported features
based on the build breakage or runtime anomalies, then analyze the
kvm-kmod history for changes that wrapped those features, and finally
adjust all affected code blocks. I'm open for patches and willing to
support you on questions, but I can't work on this myself.

Jan