Re: source for virt io backend driver

On Sat, Apr 07, 2012, Steven wrote about "source for virt io backend driver":
> Hi,
> I would like to know where I can find the source for backend driver of
> virtio device. For example, I know that the front-end net driver is
> Can anyone help to point out where the source of net virtio backend in
> the host kernel?

If you use "normal" virtio, the backend is in qemu, i.e., host user
space, *not* in the host kernel. So you need to look for it in qemu,
not kvm.

If you want the backend to be in the kernel, then you probably mean
vhost-net. This you can find in drivers/vhost/net.c (and
drivers/vhost/vhost.c for the generic vhost infrastructure for virtio
drivers in the host kernel).

Of course, also with vhost-net, qemu is involved in setting up this
device. But qemu doesn't need to get involved in the data path (data,
interrupts, etc.) which is done completely in the kernel, and therefore
much more efficiently.

--
Nadav Har'El                        |                     Sunday, Apr 8 2012,