Re: [Qemu-devel] virtio-blk performance regression and qemu-kvm

On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 11:56 PM, Ross Becker <ross.becker@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I just joined in order to chime in here-
>
> I'm seeing the exact same thing as Reeted;  I've got a machine with a
> storage subsystem capable of 400k IOPs, and when I punch the storage up to
> VMs, each VM seems to top out at around 15-20k IOPs.   I've managed to get
> to 115k IOPs by creating 8 VMs, doing appropriate CPU pinning to spread
> them amongst physical cores, and running IO in them simultaneously, but
> I'm unable to get a single VM past 20k IOPs.
>
> I'm using kvm-qemu 12.1.2, as distributed in RHEL 6.2.
>
> The hardware is a Dell R910 chassis, with 4 intel E7 processors.  I am
> poking LVM logical volume block devices directly up to VMs as disks,
> format raw, virtio driver, write caching none, IO mode native.  Each VM
> has 4 vCPUs.
>
> I'm also using fio to do my testing.
>
> The interesting thing is that throughput is actually pretty fantastic; I'm
> able to push 6.3 GB/sec using 256k blocks, but the IOPs @ 4k block size
> are poor.

There is a stalled effort to improve the virtio-blk guest driver IOPS
performance.  You might be interested in testing these patches
("virtio-blk: Change I/O path from request to BIO"):

https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/12/20/419

No one has deeply explored and benchmarked to a point where it's clear
that these patches are the way forward.

What the patches do is change the guest driver to reduce lock
contention and actually skip the guest I/O scheduler in favor of a
more lightweight code-path in the guest kernel.  This should be good
for your 400k IOPS with 4 vcpus setup.

Stefan