Re: one out of four existing kvm guest's not starting after system upgrade

On Tue Feb 28, 2012, you wrote:
> On 2012-02-19 21:13, Thomas Fjellstrom wrote:
> > I'm pretty much stumped on this. So I decided to try re-creating the vm
> > through virt-manager. Its up and running now. The only to major
> > differences I can see in the old and new config is the machine (-M
> > pc-0.12 vs -M pc-1.0) parameter, and the uuid. The rest of the
> > parameters I played with a lot trying to get it to work by starting up
> > the vm manually from the cli. I can't really see how those two changes
> > would do much of anything considering the other three VM's still are
> > configured to use -M pc-0.12, and they work fine.
>
> To pick up this topic again: The trace contains no clear indication what
> is going on. Now I'm trying to understand what works and what not.
> Please correct / extend as required:
>
>  - qemu-kvm-0.12 problematic-vm.img		[OK]
>  - qemu-kvm-1.0 -M pc-0.12 problematic-vm.img	[HANG]
>  - qemu-kvm-1.0 -M pc-1.0 problematic-vm.img	[OK]
>
> In all cases, the image is the same, never reinstalled?

Right. same exact disk image.

> BTW, what is your guest again? What is your VM configuration?

Guest is debian squeeze. (with a trace of sid, but not a whole lot)

> That IOCTL error messages you find in the kernel log likely relate to
> direct cdrom access from the qemu process. Do you pass a host drive
> through?

Not a CDROM drive no. The host doesn't even have a cdrom drive. There are some
virtio lvm disk images passed through.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom
thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx