Re: The way of mapping BIOS into the guest's address space

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 1:03 PM, Yang Bai <hamo.by@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Since on X86, bios is always at the end of the address space, so I
> have some thought about how to implement the seabios support for kvm
> tool.
>
> 1. using kvm__register_mem to map the end of address space to the
> guest then copy the code of seabios to this mem region. Just emulating
> the bios chip.
>
> 2. leave the bios code alone and don't touch the guest's address
> space. If the guest accesses the address belonging to the bios, it
> will be an IO request and we can emulate the IO access to the bios
> chip.
>
> Any ideas about this?

The latter solution doesn't make any sense to me. Cyrill, do we really
need to put the BIOS at the end of the address space? Don't we have
unused space below 1 MB?

> And question:  How could I set the first instruction address after we
> issue the vmlaunch instruction?

You need to set ->boot_ip and fiends. See
tools/kvm/x86/kvm.c::load_bzimage() for an example.

                        Pekka