KVM Memory overcomittment vs VMware

Hi all,

I've emailed about some related issues lately with some good feedback.
About a year ago we decided to migrate off VMware to KVM. With some
mixed result we're fairly happy but we're somewhat stuck as far as RAM
utilization is concerned.

We've managed to gain some RAM space with KSM and we've experimented
quite a bit with ballooning but any combination doesn't really meet up
with the experiences we've with how VMware handles RAM.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've understood a guest
running in VMware isn't aware of how of its RAM that's ballooned as
it's transparent compared to KVM where the host and the guest
communicates and the guest becomes aware of the actual amount of RAM
and decreases it accordingly causing it to SWAP worst case.

For now I've looked at most best practices etc but I figured I'd give
it a last shot with you guys figuring out if there's some magic trick
to have virtio_balloon work similar to the way VMware does it or if we
have to look into expanding our RAM.

--
Jonathan Petersson - Operations Engineer

op5 AB

Norgegatan 2
SE-164 32 Kista, Sweden

Direct  +46 8-58 83 01 21