Host hangs when guest invoked

Hello all, I hope someone may point me in a direction to take.
I am running KVM on SLES SP1 with a SLES 11 Guest. Recently I noticed that the host console
was hung.  I was able to SSH into the running Guest and shut it down but was unable to regain control
over the host.  The keyboard, mouse and video stops
responding on the host.  When the guest instance is shutdown via ssh, the console is not released,
I have to hit the reset button on the server to break out of it.

I notice that whenever I launch the guest, either via the graphical utility provided with SLES,
or via a simple shell using virsh, the host console will hang.  It varies as to the amount of time before it
will hang but it is certain within a minute of the guest booting. The guest is fully functional.

Is KVM somehow taking full control over the hardware such that the host is unusable? Is there a config
file I could edit to fix the issue?

Many thanks.