Re: Device pass-through

On Mon, 2012-01-02 at 11:41 -0800, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> I'm going to summarize my questions first and write the long explanation
> afterward...
>
> 1: What happens when Linux rejects the aperture allocated by the BIOS
> for an AMD IOMMU?

This is actually the GART aperture, which Linux will try to use as an
IOMMU.  You can pretty much ignore this, but it may be wasting memory
for no good reason if it's really hiding usable memory and allocating a
bounce buffer area.  The important lines for device assignment are
these:

AMD-Vi: Enabling IOMMU at 0000:00:00.2 cap 0x40
AMD-Vi: Initialized for Passthrough Mode
AMD-Vi: Enabling IOMMU at 0000:00:00.2 cap 0x40

> 2: What is unsafe about the allow_unsafe_assigned_interrupts option?
> What are the potential consequences of its use?

The host is potentially exposed to a malicious guest trying to trigger
MSI interrupts for denial of service or exploit probing.  If you trust
your guest, it's safe to allow this.

> 3: How can I get the ROM from a graphics card?

Not sure, if the cards are identical, try using the one from the primary
adapter.  ISTR the Xen folks had some interesting methods for getting
these, google for graphics pass through on xen.  Assignment of graphics
cards isn't supported.  Your use as a secondary head on the VM may be
possible, but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't work.

> 4: What do these errors mean, and is there any way I can correct the
> problem?
> > create_userspace_phys_mem: File exists
> > assigned_dev_iomem_map: Error: create new mapping failed

Might mean the resources for the graphics card are getting mapped to
overlap with guest memory.  What does lspci -v for the graphics card
show?  More recent changes upstream might make better use of the space
we have for devices, might be worth a test.

Alex