Re: winXP "Standard PC" HAL and qemu-kvm >= 0.15

On 12/05/2011 11:21 AM, Michael Tokarev wrote:
> As it turned out, a windowsXP machine does not work in
> qemu-kvm >= 0.15 (it loses network and USB entirely)
> if it is using "Standard PC" HAL.  In 0.14 it worked
> fine, but not in 0.14 (I haven't tried any in-between
> versions yet).
>
> There are several HAL types available in winXP: these
> are "Uniprocessor PC with MPS" (or Multiprocessor),
> also two ACPI types, and "Standard PC".  All the other
> HAL types appears to work fine, but not "Standard PC".
>
> I haven't debugged further yet, -- because it were
> not easy to find out what was causing the regression
> and how to reproduce it, and also because I don't think
> it is the right HAL for qemu-kvm guest anyway.

It's not, but the regression indicates we broke something.  It would be
good to know what that is.

> So, if anybody have some thoughts about this issue,
> and especially if you know a way to switch winXP HAL
> type to some ACPI variant without reinstalling, please
> speak up.. ;)

I remember doing it somewhere in device manager, perhaps in the
processor entry.  But it was years since I last did this.

> Debian bugreport for a reference: http://bugs.debian.org/647312
>
> Reproducer: install a winXP guest on kvm with -no-acpi so
> it chooses an "Uniprocessor with MPS" HAL.  Switch it to
> "Standard PC" in device manager, reboot -- in 0.15+ it does
> not work anymore, while in 0.14 it continues to work fine.

Most likely non-ACPI interrupt routing.