Re: Improving RAID5 write performance in a KVM VM

On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 10:34 AM, Simon Wilson <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have done a fair bit of analysis with dstat and using dd copies, and file
> writes onto the VM's RAID5 slice sit between 35 and 40MBps consistently.

If you want to drill down on the disk I/O performance than removing
Samba from the equation is a good idea.

Which dd command-lines did you use on host and guest?

What dd throughput did the host get on the RAID5 slice?

You are already using cache=none, aio=native, and virtio which tend to
deliver the best performance.  There's no obvious setting that you
need to change.

> Hi all - there's been a lot of activity on the list over the last few days since I posted this, but no responses to my query.

This list is the right place for KVM performance questions but it's
best effort support from the community.  There is no guarantee someone
with the time, interest, and knowledge is around to help.

Stefan