Re: Secure KVM

On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 12:51 PM, Avi Kivity <avi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 11/07/2011 02:40 PM, Sasha Levin wrote:
>> >
>> > Where does the VNC server, the image formats, etc go?  It would be
>> > nice to confine them too.
>>
>> Regarding image formats, just wondering - was there ever any plan to
>> merge (at least some of them) into the kernel?
>
> Xen has/had something where (IIUC) the kernel would call out on an
> unmapped cluster, let userspace figure out the mapping, then service
> requests to that cluster completely in the kernel.  I'm not convinced
> it's worthwhile.

http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/DmUserspace

I like the design - it's essentially a software MMU for block devices.
 Userspace gets to service faults and can therefore look up metadata
in the image format or even allocate new space.

Getting all the qemu-img supported drivers into the kernel isn't
worthwhile or a good idea IMO.  If we got just qcow2 into the kernel
we'd basically have another mechanism to do stuff similar to what LVM
and btrfs can do.  I'm interested in using existing kernel
functionality more than adding a qcow2 driver.

Stefan