Issue with ide disk numbering on old VMs

Hi,

I'm using qemu-kvm directly with a few shell scripts (kvm-wrapper) and I
updated them recently to change from the "old" -drive syntax to the
"new" -drive with -device one.

I've only tried with qemu-kvm-0.15.0 and a 2.6.39.1 kernel.

I've had no problem whatsoever with virtio-blk nor ide on recent guests,
but on old guests I get weird numbering when using an ide-hd device with
this line:

-drive if=none,id=disk1,file="/path/to/block/device",cache=none,aio=native
-device ide-hd,drive=disk1

I'd expect this ide-hd -device to number to bus=ide.0,unit=0 (and ide-cd
to bus=ide.1, probably), but I clearly get a /dev/hdc block and lshw
clearly displays bus 1,0; if I force the "bus=ide.0,unit=0" in the
-device arguments then it works as expected (it turns up as /dev/hda)

The problem doesn't arise on recent guests because the drive shows up as
sda whatever the bus is with a recent kernel, but I can't afford to
upgrade these VMs (aren't mine.. not that they'd notice any change)

I'll stick with the explicit argument for now, but it doesn't blend well
in my scripts and I'd like to either know that it is intended to make
something better or to help having it fixed :)

--
Asmadeus | Dominique Martinet