Re: inter VM / PF-VF communication

On 09/22/2011 10:23 AM, Sagar Borikar wrote:
All,

Sorry if I am not keeping up on the subject but wanted to know whether
there is any effort going on for inter VM communication / PF-VF
communication (in case of SR-IOV)
I see that most of SR-IOV capable NIC supports mailboxes for that
purpose to avoid the security hole.
Xen has virtual device implementation for the same. Should I presume
that such kind of effort is not on the radar and HW needs to own the
responsibility of filling the loop holes in security threats imposed
by VF?

I'm not aware of any vendor these days that actually requires a PV driver for PF-VF communications. I know some toyed with the idea years ago but I thought malboxes have become defacto standard.

Is there a specific card you think needs a pv mailbox?

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Thanks
Sagar