Re: [RFC] KVM: Fix simultaneous NMIs

On 09/19/2011 04:54 PM, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
>  >>
>  >>   Yes, due to NMI-blocked-by-STI.  A really touchy area.
>  >And we don't need the window exit notification then? I don't understand
>  >what nmi_in_progress is supposed to do here.
>
>  We need the window notification in both cases.  If we're recovering
>  from STI, then we don't need to collapse NMIs.  If we're completing
>  an NMI handler, then we do need to collapse NMIs (since the queue
>  length is two, and we just completed one).

I don't understand what is the point with nmi_in_progress, and the above
hunk, either. Can't inject_nmi do:

if (nmi_injected + atomic_read(nmi_pending)<  2)
     atomic_inc(nmi_pending)

Instead of collapsing somewhere else?

We could. It's not atomic though - two threads executing in parallel could raise the value to three. Could do a cmpxchg loop does an increment bounded to two. I guess this is a lot clearer, thanks.

You'd also have to change
nmi_injected handling in arch code so its value is not "hidden", in
complete_interrupts().

Or maybe make raising nmi_injected not decrement nmi_pending.  So:

  nmi_pending: total number of interrupts in queue
  nmi_injected: of these, how many are currently being injected

yes?