Re: .img on nfs, relative on ram, consuming mass ram

> Hi !
> Here's my config :
>
> Version : qemu-kvm-0.12.5, qemu-kvm-0.12.4
> Hosts : AMD 64X2, Phenom and Core 2 duo
> OS : Slackware 64 13.0
> Kernel : 2.6.35.4 and many previous versions
>
> I use a PXE server to boot semi-diskless (swap partitions and some local
stuff) stations.
> This server also serves a read-only nfs folder, with plenty of .img on it.
> When clients connects, a relative image is created in /tmp, which is a
tmpfs, so hosted in ram.

> And here i go on my 2G stations :
> qemu-system-x86_64 -m 1024 -vga std -usb -usbdevice tablet -localtime -
soundhw es1370 /tmp/relimg.img
> qemu-system-x86_64 -m 1024 -vga std -usb -usbdevice tablet -localtime -
soundhw es1370 /dev/shm/relimg.img

> I tried both. Always the same result : the ram is consumed quickly, and mass
swap occurs.
> On a 4G system, i see kvm uses more than 1024, maybe 1200.
> And everytime a launch a program inside the vm, the amount of the host free
ram (not cached) diminishes,
> which is weird, because it should have been reserved.
>
> So on a 2G system, swap occurs very fast and the machine slow a lot down.
> An on a total diskless system, this leads fast to a freeze.
>
> I have no problem if i use a relative image on disk :
> qemu-system-x86_64 -m 1024 -vga std -usb -usbdevice tablet -localtime -
soundhw es1370 -drive file=/mnt/hd/sda/sda1/tmp/relimg.img,cache=none

> --
> the body of a message to majordomo <at> vger.kernel.org

I am also looking for a "speed solution" so i put the whole image in /dev/shm.
host machine is ubuntu 11.10 betha , and guest is ubuntu 11.04.
it works , and i get 500mbyte/sec using virtio. .. I was hoping for a lot of
more since its a i920 , 24gig host machine.

I will try disable the cache i guess it will improve the speed.

My question is , what would the optimal filesystem of the guest be ? om using
ext4 , but its a bit silly since the the host kvm image is in ram.

..ive got 12g /dev/shm , since the hostmache is 24gb.  my kvm image is 6 gig.

/Rickard