Re: [net-next-2.6 PATCH 0/3 RFC] macvlan: MAC Address filtering support for passthru mode

On 9/8/11 9:25 PM, "Sridhar Samudrala" <sri@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 9/8/2011 8:00 PM, Roopa Prabhu wrote:

>>> So with filtering in hw, and in sriov VF case, VFs
>>> actually share a filtering table. How will that
>>> be partitioned?
>> AFAIK, though it might maintain a single filter table space in hw, hw does
>> know which filter belongs to which VF. And the OS driver does not need to do
>> anything special. The VF driver exposes a VF netdev. And any uc/mc addresses
>> registered with a VF netdev are registered with the hw by the driver. And hw
>> will filter and send only pkts that the VF has expressed interest in.
> Does your NIC & driver support adding multiple mac addresses to a VF?
> I have tried a few other SR-IOV NICs sometime back and they didn't
> support this feature.

Yes our nic does. I thought Intel's also does (see ixgbevf_set_rx_mode).
Though I have not really tried using it on an Intel card. I think most cards
should at the least support multicast filters.

If the lower dev does not support unicast filtering, dev_uc_add(lowerdev,..)
puts the lower dev in promiscous mode. Though..i think I can chcek this
before hand in macvlan_open and put the lowerdev in promiscuous mode if it
does not support filtering.

> Currently, we don't have an interface to add multiple mac addresses to a
> netdev other than an
> indirect way of creating a macvlan /if on top of it.

Yes I think so. I have been using only macvlan to test.

Thanks,
Roopa