Re: network boot always enabled with 0.15.0

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 09:56:37AM +0000, Dietmar Maurer wrote:
> > Then it is expected (as in "this is how code works currently"). Why would you
> > want to disable network boot if other method failed?
>
> Because I do not want to start/install a new VM only because I have some other error.
Why would you automatically start install on any computer that does
network boot? You can configure PXE server to not do that.

> Also, I think the behavior was different with earlier versions.
Yes, it was. The behaviour changed when bootindex was introduced. I
think it should be easy to switch it back to what it was for -boot
option, but -boot is/should be deprecated in favor of bootindex anyway.
Implementing opt out from boot process for bootindex is doable but more
involving.

> For example, if I set 'boot order=d' (boot from cdrom) and there is no cdrom in the drive slot. Then the VM will boot from the network an our windows installation server (RIS/WDS) will automatically trash all data on the VM disk. That is quite dangerous.

One can argue that having such brokenly configured server in your
network is dangerous anyway. What about physical computer that can be
trashed before you even realize you had to disable network booting in
the BIOS?

--
			Gleb.