Re: kvm linux guest hanging for minutes at a time

On August 9, 2011, Avi Kivity wrote:
> On 08/09/2011 05:46 PM, Thomas Fjellstrom wrote:
> > >  >  Does it matter that I have several vms running? Is there a way to
> > >  >  limit it to tracing the single kvm process that's been locking up?
> > >
> > >  You can use "trace-cmd record -F ... qemu ..." but that misses out on
> > >  events the run from workqueues.
> > >
> > >  Best to stop those other guests.
> >
> > I would prefer not to do that, those other guests are my web server, mail
> > server, and database server. I have no idea if I can reproduce the
> > problem in a reasonable time frame.
>
> Okay then, please use -F.
>
> Note, please be sure to note the time the guest hangs so we can
> correlate it with the trace.

The fun part is the last thing to cause a hang was a 'aptitude dist-upgrade',
which updated the kernel, and removed the running kernel, so if it has to be
restarted, I won't be able to run again with the same kernel, unless I can find
the package for the old kernel some place.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom
thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx