Re: How to assign devices with VT-d in KVM

Valeri Kuchansky <valeri.kuchansky@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 07/27/2011
10:47:14 AM:

> Folks,
>
> I'm looking for some help on guest network configuration when enabling
VT-d.
> I have fully completed steps given on http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/
> How_to_assign_devices_with_VT-d_in_KVM on detaching and assigning VFs to
KVM.
> I can see Virtual Functions PCIs on the guest. However I cannot find
> any information on how to further configure to use it by the network
service.
> The guest  (standard Fedora 15 distro) Network Manager does not
> recognize any network hardware.
> Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Valeri

Do you have iommu turned on and set to passthrough on your kernel command
line.  On my setup the kernel command line includes:
intel_iommu=on iommu=pt

Do you have the network driver for the virtual function installed in the
guest?  On my system I have an Intel 10Gb Ethernet card.  The driver in the
host is ixgbe.ko.  The driver that runs in the guest is ixgbevf.ko.

Steve D.