Re: KVM host freezing

On 06/02/2011 11:36 PM, Marc Haber wrote:
On Thu, Jun 02, 2011 at 04:41:30PM +0300, Avi Kivity wrote:
>  On 06/02/2011 11:25 AM, Marc Haber wrote:
>  >Is there any possibility that the freezes have to do with the
>  >"unhandles (rd|wr)msr" messages?
>
>  Very unlikely.

What does that mean anyway?

The guest read or wrote a model specific register which kvm does not implement.

It's looked with sufficiently high
priority to get spewed onto the console.

It's done so if the problem is the cause of a guest malfunction, we'll have a clue.

>  >When else could be the cause?
>  >
>  >In the mean time, I have taken the box offline and am running memtest.
>  >Up to now, everything seems to be fine.
>  >
>  >Any hints will be appreciated.
>
>  You might try setting up netconsole to get reliable logging.

logging of what? Of things written to syslog before the freeze occurs
so that they don't reach the disk reliably? I could set up logging
(which facility/priority?) to the serial console.

dmesg.  Syslog is unlikely to get anything during a hard freeze.

>  Do you have NMIs?  'grep NMI /proc/interrupts'.

about one per minute.

>  Does running 'perf top -F 10000' make the hang come sooner?

If that's important, I'll make some effort to compile a statically
linked perf for 2.6.39. Is it?

Yes.  But why statically linked?  The default should work fine.