Re: [Patch v5 1/4] Remove SMEP bit from CR4_RESERVED_BITS

On 06/01/2011 10:18 AM, Tian, Kevin wrote:
> [...]

enabling SMEP w/o guest's knowledge can be problematic if the guest
is doing U/S 0->1 bit change w/o TLB invalidation, which is a required
action to ensure SMEP protection working correctly. Linux versions
known so far don't have this behavior because TLB invalidation due to
P bit change covers U/S 0->1 change. But given that end users may
deploy various OS within the guest, to enable SMEP this way requires
solid understanding on internals of those OSes. Or else it's uncertain
whether SMEP protection fully works on such uncertain guests.

That does reduce the attractiveness of the whole thing.

signature is too narrow to contain.