Re: [Patch v5 1/4] Remove SMEP bit from CR4_RESERVED_BITS

On 05/30/2011 11:05 AM, Ingo Molnar wrote:
* Avi Kivity<avi@xxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

>  On 05/30/2011 10:40 AM, Ingo Molnar wrote:
>  >* Yang, Wei Y<wei.y.yang@xxxxxxxxx>   wrote:
>  >
>  >>   This patch removes SMEP bit from CR4_RESERVED_BITS.
>  >
>  >I'm wondering, what is the best-practice way for tools/kvm/ to set
>  >SMEP for the guest kernel automatically, even if the guest kernel
>  >itsef has not requested SMEP?
>  >
>  >  The portion i'm worried about are old KVM versions that have the
>  >  SMEP bit in CR4_RESERVED_BITS and reject it. So we cannot just
>  >  unilaterally add SMEP to every cr4 write of the guest.
>
>  tools/kvm doesn't see cr4 writes at all. [...]

I feared small complications like that! :-)

We can definitely use KVM_GET_SREGS, fiddle the SMEP bit in
kvm_regs.cr4 and call KVM_SET_SREGS, once the fine patch above goes
upstream.

It's not a good idea. First, the guest will see cr4.smep where it hasn't set it before, which may confuse it. Second, the guest may rewrite cr4.smep, clearing it, giving a false sense of security.

>  [...]  The only way to do this is in kvm itself.
>
>  >  Is there a way to query whether the host KVM version supports
>  >  SMEP setting in cr4?
>  >

>  KVM_GET_SUPPORTED_CPUID (it returns whether both the host cpu and
>  kvm support smep; if one of them doesn't, you'll see smep
>  disabled).

That looks useful.

So the way to go appears to be to do a GET_SREGS/SET_SREGS sequence
to enable SMEP in the guest, some time after it has booted and has
enabled paging.

I'm wondering whether there's a suitable place to do that, when we
are more or less guaranteed to exit the VM for some other reason -
such as the first MMIO done with paging enabled?

This solution means that we'll slow down pre-paging MMIOs with a
GET_SREGS call, but that's ok, they are rare and the pre-paging
bootup phase is very short.

So the only worry would be where the guest sets cr4 itself - and
since it does not know about SMEP it will probably disable it. Guest
suspend/resume is one such place ...

Another option would be to try to set the SMEP bit *before* we enable
paging. In theory this should not confuse a Linux guest - and while i
have not tested it i *think* we let it survive in the
saved_cr4_features shadow variable. That would make guest
suspend/resume work out of box as well.

Is there any reason not to do it in a hidden way in kvm? Why must we play tricks?