Re: Graphics card pass-through working with two pass pci-initialization

Hi,

On 29.05.2011 17:22, Jan Kiszka wrote:
On 2010-05-28 20:49, Andrà Weidemann wrote:
Hi,

On 28.05.2011 10:18, Jan Kiszka wrote:
On 2011-05-26 23:19, Andrà Weidemann wrote:
On 27.05.2011 21:50, Andrà Weidemann wrote:
On 27.05.2011 21:40, Andrà Weidemann wrote:

If I am not mistaken then the graphics card needs 2 bars, one with
256MB
and one with 128K. The sound card then needs 1 bar with 16K of PCI
memory.
How big is the PCI memory with seabios?
Is there really not enough space to "squeeze" in those extra 16K?

I obviously forgot to add up the other memory that is used...
32MB go to the standard VGA card. Running qemu-kvm with "-vga none" did
not work, so I left it in. And the e1000 NIC needs another 128K.

I'll see if I can get rid of the standard VGA card. I guess that should
free enough memory for the sound card.

I did some more testing by starting the VM with the paramter "-vga none"
and passed both the VGA card and the sound card to it. With this option
the VM did not boot,

Where did it hang, ie. what IP was reported by info cpus?

I added some debug options and found out, that the VM hangs when trying
to initialize the graphics card ROM.
See here:
http://pastebin.com/S9a8uQfU

And some additional info here:

http://pastebin.com/AC4rw8Ek (info cpus/registers)
http://pastebin.com/yYkn8jL2 (info pci)

Yeah, you definitely run out of PCI memory.

Plus you may suffer from the PAM/SMRAM bug I wrote about in the wiki.
Try if this hack improves the situation:

http://git.kiszka.org/?p=qemu-kvm.git;a=commitdiff;h=96e600f43275310364c0310519d6ab6540bb7d25

I applied above patch, but it did not make a difference. The VM did not boot with the parameter "-vga none".

I found the time to apply your two patches here:
http://git.kiszka.org/?p=seabios.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/vga-assign
After doing so, Gerds q35 bios branch prints an error message during compile.
The error comes from line 33 here:
http://www.kraxel.org/cgit/seabios/tree/src/dev-q35.c?h=kraxel.q35
How do I adjust the memory area here?

Regards