Re: [Patch v3] Enable CPU SMEP feature for KVM

On 05/27/2011 05:56 AM, Tian, Kevin wrote:
> [...]

another change in this version is to avoid adding SMEP to cr4_guest_owned_bits,
because architecturally it's required to flush TLB when CR4.SMEP is changed
which has to be emulated.

That is actually a good change since it allows us to query SMEP without a vmcs_readl(GUEST_CR4).

Also based on your comment SMEP is now permitted based on cpuid setting. One pending
issue though is check_cr_write in emulation path. We changed cr4_reserved_bits
to vcpu specific instead of global, but check_cr_write doesn't provide a vcpu parameter.
Looks the whole emulation logic avoids using vcpu context to be neutral. Avi, do you
have any suggestion for a clean change here? Add cr_reserved_bits array into
emulation context instead of hard-coding?

We can have a ->cpuid() callback so we can query it dynamically. cr4 writes will be emulated very rarely, after all.

signature is too narrow to contain.