Re: Undocumented KVM_SET_LAPIC ioctl()

On 04/27/2011 10:23 AM, Pekka Enberg wrote:
Hi!

We're currently having issues while trying to make the KVM in-kernel
lapic to work. There seems to be a KVM_SET_LAPIC ioctl() for this but
it's not documented in Documentation/kvm/api.txt. Are there other
ioctls we should know about? We're using KVM_CREATE_IRQCHIP obviously.

Plenty, yes.

KVM_IRQ_LINE - raise or lower an irq line.
KVM_GET_IRQCHIP/KVM_SET_IRQCHIP - save/restore PIC/IOAPIC states.
KVM_CREATE_PIT2/KVM_GET_PIT2/KVM_SET_PIT2 - PIT support (optional)
KVM_IRQ_LINE_STATUS - like KVM_IRQ_LINE, but provide information about whether the interrupt was coalesced or not. Useful for compensating for time drift. KVM_SET_GSI_ROUTING - manipulate the routes between irq lines and the IOAPIC and PIC; also maintain virtual routes for message signalled interrupts (MSI) KVM_IRQFD - raise an edge-triggered interrupt via an eventfd; useful for talking to a guest from outside its host process
KVM_GET_LAPIC/KVM_SET_LAPIC - save/restore local APIC register state

I'll post documentation patches. To get started, KVM_SET_LAPIC is simple - it simply accepts a 1K buffer that maps 1:1 to local APIC registers as documented in the Intel SDM, volume 3.