Connecting to a new guest VM

This is probably a very noob question but I haven't been able to find
a solution that worked so far. Maybe it's just something really minor
that I've missed so I'll appreciate some pointers.

Running on Scientific Linux 6, bridged networking configured with
ifcfg-br0 and ifcfg-eth0, networking is working, I can ssh/vnc into
the host.

I created a guest using the following command as root following the
virt-install man page.

virt-install -n vm_01 -r 640 --vcpus=1
--file=/home/VMs/vm110401/vm_01_d1 -s 170 --nonsparse
--network=bridge:br0  --accelerate
--cdrom=/home/ISO/CentOS-5.6-x86_64-bin-DVD-1of2.iso --os-type=linux
--os-variant=rhel5

It seems to work, except I get a line that says Escape Char is ^]
And the console doesn't react to any further input except to exit.
Then it warns me that the OS is still being installed.

Being a noob, I figured maybe a GUI will be easier. So I installed X
desktop and created another VM with the same parameters except I added
--vnc --vncport=15901

However, I cannot connect to the VM, whether using the public IP or
through the LAN IP.

I have the vnc port allowed in iptables, the port is not the default
5901 since I already have the external VNC listening on that port.

I've also tried to connect to the VM via 127.0.0.1 through my VNC
session but depending on what I try (public, LAN, vnc from within vnc
to localhost) I get either "connection refused" or "write: broken
pipe" error.

Based on some google searches, I've also edited qemu.conf to include
the line vnc_listen= "0.0.0.0"

But still no joy and from googling, apparently I'm not the only noob
who find myself stuck. So I'll appreciate it greatly if somebody could
point out what's missing or wrong, thanks!