Re: Does macvtap support host to guest communication?

* Arnd Bergmann <arnd@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Monday 18 April 2011, Asias He wrote:
> > (1) Is it possible to add an interface to macvtap like /dev/net/tun,
> > eg, /dev/net/macvtap. Currently, it is hard to use macvtap programmatically.
>
> I decided against having a multiplexor device because it makes permission
> handling rather hard. One chardev per network interface makes it possible
> to handle permissions in multiuser setups.
>
> > (2) Adding another macvlan device(e.g., macvlan0) to the hardware
> > interface(e.g., eth0) and using it as the old eth0 make the process of
> > using macvtap complicate. One has to reconfigure the network. This is
> > not optimal from the user perspective. Is it possible to leave the
> > low-level device as is when using the macvtap device?
>
> Only in VEPA mode. Note that a similar restriction applies when using the
> bridge device, for the same technical reasons.

Just to sum things up, our goal is to allow the tools/kvm/ unprivileged tool to
provide TCP connectivity to Linux guests transparently, with the following
parameters:

 - the kvm tool runs unprivileged - as ordinary user

 - without having to configure much (preferably zero configuration: without
   having to configure anything) on the guest Linux side

 - multiple guests should just work without interfering with each other

 - the kvm tool wants to be stateless - i.e. it does not want to allocate or
   manage host side devices - it just wants to provide the kind of TCP/IP
   connectivity host unprivileged user-space has, to the guest. The tool wants
   to be a generic tool with no global state, not a daemon.

So it wants to be a stateless, unprivileged and zero-configuration solution.

Is this possible with macvtap, and if yes, what kind of macvtap mode and usage
would you recommend for that goal?

Thanks,

	Ingo